Birthmark Removal in Monroe, LA
You may be familiar with birthmarks that appear as discolored skin, but there are several types of birthmarks. For the most part, birthmarks are harmless, but some do require treatment. As a board-certified dermatologist, Dr. Janine Hopkins, M.D., F.A.A.D. offers birthmark removal for men and women in Monroe, Shreveport, the Ark-La-Miss and the surrounding areas of Northeast Louisiana.
What is a Birthmark?
A birthmark is a discoloration of the skin that is caused by pigmentation or the blood vessels in the skin. These marks develop before birth and are permanent. People who do have birthmarks may feel comfortable with the discoloration, but many people have birthmarks in areas that cause complications or aesthetic concerns.
What Are the Benefits of Birthmark Removal?
From a cosmetic perspective, birthmark removal helps people feel more comfortable about their appearances. If the birthmark interferes with vision, breathing, or eating, treatment is recommended.
How Do I Know If I Have a Birthmark?
Birthmarks and other skin conditions may have similar appearances. The primary difference is that a birthmark is present at birth and does not change. Moles are one type of birthmarks. Other types of birthmarks are:
- Café-au-lait spots, so named because the color of these birthmarks is the same as coffee with cream. These birthmarks do tend to fade, but they are always visible to some degree.
- Mongolian spots have a greyish-blue color and occur most often in children with dark skin. In some cases, Mongolian spots fade to the point where they are barely visible.
- Salmon patches are a type of vascular birthmark that are flat and reddish or pinkish. They develop on the forehead and may be called “angel kisses.”
- Hemangiomas are similar to moles, but these birthmarks have a red or pink coloration. They can develop on the surface of the skin or in the deeper layers of the skin.
- Port wine stains are another type of vascular birthmark that cause patches of red or red-purple skin. These birthmarks can grow larger as the person ages.
What Should I Expect from Birthmark Removal?
If the birthmark affects the integrity of the surrounding skin or causes sores, treatment may be recommended. Laser treatments change the color of the birthmark. Surgery may be recommended if the birthmark could cause complications.
How Much Does Birthmark Removal Cost in Monroe, LA?
The cost of birthmark removal is based upon several factors, such as the type of birthmark, location, and recommended treatment. We can discuss these details at the time of your appointment.
Be Healthy, Be Beautiful. Contact Hopkins Dermatology Today.
If you or your child has a birthmark that is an aesthetic concern or that affects eating, breathing, or vision, birthmark removal may be recommended. As a board-certified dermatologist, Dr. Janine Hopkins, M.D., F.A.A.D. offers birthmark removal for adults and children in Monroe, Shreveport, the Ark-La-Miss and the surrounding areas of Northeast Louisiana. Contact Hopkins Dermatology today to schedule your appointment for a birthmark evaluation.